MAY 26, 2023
A skin care routine is essential for all skin types, but it is especially important for those with oily skin. Without a consistent and effective skin care routine, an oily skin type can easily lead to clogged pores, acne breakouts, and other skin issues. A targeted skin care routine can help to regulate oil production, prevent breakouts, and keep your skin healthy and balanced.
01 How Can You Create an Effective Oily Skin Care Routine?
- Determine if your skin type is “oily.”
- Establish what your primary skin care concerns are. For example, does your oily skin tend to develop acne or blackheads? Do you have concerns regarding texture or pore size? Identifying your concerns can help you choose the right products and ingredients to address them.
- Research ingredients and products to make informed decisions. When choosing a skincare product for oily skin, it's essential to look for non-comedogenic and oil-free ingredients.
- Building a skin care routine doesn't have to be complicated. Start with a gentle, oil-free cleanser to remove excess oil and impurities. Then opt for a lightweight, oil-free moisturizer, peptide eye cream, or serum to hydrate your skin without contributing to oil production.
- Consistency is key when it comes to a skin care routine.
02 How Should You Determine Which Products to Incorporate Into Your Routine?
03 What Are the Most Important Products to Include in Your Oily Skin Health Routine?
- Oil-free Cleanser: Cleansing is an essential step in any skin care routine, but for oily skin, it's important to choose a gentle, oil-free gel cleanser that won't disrupt skin’s delivate lipid (oil) balance.
Lightweight Moisturizer or Serum: Oily skin still still needs hydration from moisturizer, peptide body lotion, and serums, but choosing a lightweight, oil-free moisturizer or serum that won't clog pores or contribute to oiliness is essential. When choosing a moisturizer or serum, look for the following ingredients:
- Hyaluronic Acid
- Vitamin C
- Sunscreen: Even if you have oily skin, it's important to protect your skin from the sun's harmful UV rays. No one is immune to the harmful effects of the sun's UV rays. Look for a lightweight, oil-free sunscreen that won't clog pores or contribute to oiliness.
04 What are Products to Avoid When Creating Your Oily Skin Health Routine?
- Heavy, Oil-based Moisturizers: Thick, heavy, or oil-based moisturizers can clog pores and contribute to excess oil production, making them unsuitable for oily skin.
- Harsh or Abrasive Exfoliants: Exfoliants that are too harsh can irritate the skin and cause inflammation, leading to increased oil production and acne breakouts.
- Alcohol-based Toners: While toners can be effective for oily skin, it's vital to avoid alcohol-based toners that can strip the skin of its natural oils and cause it to produce even more oil to compensate.
- Heavy Makeup: As tempting as it is to use makeup to cover up blemishes or acne, heavy or oil-based makeup can clog pores and contribute to more breakouts. So, if makeup is necessary, it's important to choose lightweight, oil-free beauty products.3
- Fragranced Products: Fragranced in skin care products can be irritating and can lead to inflammation as well as increased oil production. Opt for fragrance-free items whenever possible.
05 How Should Your AM vs. PM Routines Compare?
The PM routine for oily skin type holds some extra importance. Cleansing in the evening is of utmost importance because lingering makeup, dirt, dead skin cells, and oil can exacerbate oily skin and cause breakouts. While cleansing should be gentle, it should also be thorough. Overall, the focus of an oily skin care routine is to balance oil production, unclog pores, and prevent breakouts while also providing hydration and protection.
06 Is OneSkin Appropriate for Oily Skin?
Oily skin types can use OneSkin’s PREP as their daily facial cleanser. Gentle enough to use each day but strong enough to remove dirt, makeup, and oil, PREP contains prickly pear extract. This extract gently exfoliates and cuts through excess oil without disrupting the skin’s natural lipid barrier and microbiome. PREP prepares skin for maximum absorption of your oily skin routine’s next step, a moisturizer or serum.
Oily skin needs nourishment, too. Feed your skin with our proprietary OS-01 peptide in OS-01 FACE. A lightweight daily moisturizer, OS-01 FACE also targets skin longevity for all skin types. OS–01 FACE contains three sizes of hyaluronic acid to provide lasting hydration without adding excess oil. OS-01 FACE is clinically validated to improve barrier function (+15% on average), enabling the skin to lock in moisture without disrupting your natural lipid balance.
Include OneSkin’s OS-01 EYE serum in your oily skin care routine. Superpowered by the highest concentration of our OS-01 peptide, OS-01 EYE is specifically designed to benefit the ultra-delicate skin around the eyes. Oneskin products deliver lightweight, lasting hydration without exacerbating oily skin.