MAY 30, 2023
Even if you have normal skin, it’s essential to keep in mind that your skin’s needs can change over time and may be affected by factors like aging, hormonal changes, and lifestyle habits. Therefore, it is important to regularly reassess your skin and develop an effective skincare routine to help your skin remain well-balanced and healthy.
01 How Can You Create an Effective Normal Skin Care Routine?
However, it is still important to establish a consistent routine to maintain the skin's health, hydration, and radiance. Here are some steps to follow when creating a skin care routine for normal skin:
#1 CLEANSER AND (OPTIONAL) TONER
Using a toner is an optional step that can help to balance the skin's pH. Look for a toner formulated for normal skin or for “all skin types,” and avoid skin care products containing alcohol or any other harsh ingredient. Then, apply the toner to a cotton pad or use a spray bottle for a refreshing mist over the face and neck.
#2 EXFOLIATE (ALSO OPTIONAL)
#3 SERUMS AND MOISTURIZERS
Even if you have normal skin, keeping it regularly hydrated and moisturized is crucial. Use a lightweight, non-greasy peptide moisturizer and peptide body lotion, and apply it to your face and neck after cleansing. Look for a skin care product containing ingredients that help improve skin barrier function and hydration, such as ceramides or glycerin.
#4 SUN PROTECTION
For Your Eye Area
02 How Should You Determine Which Products to Incorporate Into Your Routine?
- Assess Your Skin: While you may have normal skin overall, your skin may still have special needs, which also may change depending on the climate, your environment, and other factors such as hormones. Whether it’s hydration, brightening, or exfoliation, you can incorporate certain products to address your skin’s specific needs.
- Identify Your Skincare Goals: In addition to considering your skin type, think about any specific goals you may have, such as reducing dark spots, fine lines, or acne.
- Pay Attention to Product Ingredients: Look for skin care products that contain high-quality, effective ingredients, such as antioxidants, peptides, and hyaluronic acid. Avoid any skin care product with harsh ingredients, such as alcohol, sulfates, or parabens, which can irritate the skin.
03 What Are the Most Important Products to Include in Your Normal Skin Health Routine?
Here are some ingredients to consider including in your skincare routine for normal skin:
- Hyaluronic acid: Hyaluronic acid is a humectant, making it an excellent ingredient for hydrating the skin. It helps draw moisture to the skin and lock it in, leaving it looking plump, smooth, and hydrated.2
- Niacinamide: Niacinamide is a form of vitamin B3 that can help to improve skin texture, reduce redness, and regulate oil production.3
- Oleic Pau Mulato Extract: Historically used as an ancient skin medication, Oleic Pau Mulato Extract heals skin injuries, reduces acne, and improves skin texture. A 2018 research study published in the journal Molecules found that the Oleic Pau Mulato Extract had an anti-inflammatory effect on skin cells and was able to improve resistance to stress.4
- Pracaxi Oil: This oil is known for its many properties, from hydration to wound healing. Pracaxi Oil also moisturizes, prevents infections, and reduces inflammation. In one study, surgical patients who used Pracaxi Oil experienced significantly improved scar tissue healing.5
04 What Are Products to Avoid When Creating Your Normal Skin Health Routine?
Here are some products to avoid when creating a skin care routine for normal skin:
- Harsh Cleansers: Avoid cleansers that contain sulfates, fragrances, or other harsh ingredients, and opt for a gentle, non-foaming cleanser instead.
- Abrasive Exfoliants: A physical exfoliant like a rough scrub or brush may be too harsh for normal skin and cause irritation or redness if used too aggressively or too often.
- Fragranced Products: Avoid products that contain artificial fragrances. Opt for fragrance-free or naturally fragranced products instead.
05 How Should Your AM vs. PM Routines Compare?
In the morning, your skincare routine should focus on protecting and preparing your skin for the day ahead. A typical AM skincare routine may include a gentle cleanser (or you may simply opt to rinse with water if your skin is still clean from the night before), a toner to balance the skin's pH (optional), a lightweight moisturizer to hydrate the skin, and a sunscreen with at least SPF 30 to protect against harmful UV rays.
In the evening, the focus of your skincare routine should shift to removing any makeup, dirt or impurities that your skin has collected, along with providing it with the products necessary to help repair and rejuvenate the skin while you sleep. This includes using products that promote cell turnover, boost collagen and elastin production, and nourish the skin.
A typical PM skincare routine may include a double cleanse to thoroughly remove makeup, dirt, and oil from the skin. In addition, a nourishing moisturizer is an essential part of a PM routine to help repair and replenish the skin overnight. You may opt for a heavier moisturizer or layering multiple moisturizers at night. By following a consistent AM and PM skincare routine, you can help to maintain healthy, balanced skin that looks and feels its best.
06 OneSkin as Part of Your Skin Care Routine for Normal Skin
With OneSkin’s simple yet highly effective product line that prioritizes skin’s health, you can be confident and consistent in your skin care routine:
- OneSkin PREP: When cleansing with PREP prior to using OS-01 FACE, lab studies indicate PREP can up to double the absorptions of the OS-01 peptide*.
- OS-01 EYE: Increases a key biomarker associated with collagen production (COL1A1) and reduces a key marker associated with collagen degradation (MMP1), as shown in lab studies on ex vivo human skin samples grown from human eyelid skin. This means OS-01 EYE could enable the skin around the eyes to maintain higher collagen levels on its own.
- OS-01 FACE: A 12-week clinical study performed by a third-party CRO found that OS-01 FACE improves skin barrier function by an average of +15%. Apply OneSkin products before your SPF.
- Although normal skin is typically well-balanced on its own, it still requires a consistent and effective skincare routine to remain that way.
- Skin care products for normal skin should be gentle to avoid disrupting the skin’s natural balance.
- High-quality ingredients like niacinamide, hyaluronic acid, and peptides keep the skin barrier strong and moisturized without irritating or damaging normal skin.
- Avoid harsh ingredients like parabens, sulfates, and fragrances to prevent skin reactions and irritations.
- OneSkin products, including PREP, OS-01 EYE, and OS-01 FACE are made for all skin types, including normal skin.